Ashlee B. Anderson

Learning Environments &
Educational Studies

Ashlee earned a PhD in education with a concentration in the Learning Environments and Educational Studies program in 2014. Originally from Clarksville, TN, she now lives in Knoxville, TN. We asked her to reflect on past experiences with EPC and discuss where she’s at now. Read her responses below.

Current Occupation

Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling
College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville, TN

I coordinate CSE 200: Survey of International Education. This is an undergraduate course that fulfills a general education culture and civilization requirement.

Awards and Accomplishments Earned as a Student

I was able to present A LOT as a student, and some of those presentations became publications. That really helped me to develop a solid research trajectory.

Accomplishments since Graduating

I was able to parlay my graduate teaching associate position into my current work, which I love. I’ve found that teaching and working with undergraduates has been really fulfilling, and I count those relationships as major accomplishments.

Personal Interests

I have a three-year-old, so that takes up quite a bit of my time! I also enjoy stand-up comedy and live music.

What do you think was the most rewarding/challenging about this program?

I think the faculty with whom I was able to work were outstanding, particularly my advisor and mentor, Barbara Thayer-Bacon. She was (and is) an incredible advocate, whose insight made the whole program rewarding.

What would you tell an incoming/current student in the program/department?

As for advice for potential/current students, try to learn how to say “no.” I remember committing to so many projects that, when it came time for the dissertation, I was swamped (not to mention caring for a little one).

What was the most memorable experience during your time here?

I’d say that my most memorable experiences involved my work with my peers. We formed a really tight-knit group that has carried me through a lot of challenging work. Finding humor with friends through the stress and fatigue was invaluable.