Lauren Moret, PhD

FS_Moret_12.18.14

Evaluation, Statistics & Measurement

Lauren Moret joined the University of Tennessee and the Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling as Assistant Professor in August of 2014. We asked her to reflect on her first semester here. Read her responses below.

What sold you on UTK?
I really liked the ESM research and teaching atmosphere, the program and departmental mentorship, the size of the program and university, and the role of the position itself. As a new member in my field, I’m so proud to be a part of this growing institution…to the TOP 25 and Beyond!!! I also enjoy being so close to the river and my east coast side of the family.

What would you tell the next new faculty member who joins EPC?
Relax when you can and take it all in. Make lists, create boundaries to work on specific projects, and go for it! Also, find a song that makes you happy no matter where you “are” when you hear it, and play it over and over again. My tune is ‘Night Train’, written by Duke Ellington, performed by Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery. It makes me feel good everyday on my way to and from work!

What has surprised you about the state of Tennessee?
People from TN consider being from East, Middle, or West Tennessee as if these are completely different states and not a part of one state. (Also, the Department of Transportation gave me a license plate that says “POO” on it.)

Name one fact about yourself that most people don’t know.
I’m happiest breathing through a regulator under water.