Professor, Department Head
Jeff and Nancy Cochran often teach, research, and write together, as well as share our lives and parent together. We also spend a great deal of time in sports and outdoor activities with our son, Erzhan.
We also run the REACH Project, which is a multi-systemic, school-based mental health counseling intervention for very high risk children and families. The service-research project features child-centered play therapy to turn around the lives of troubled children and families.
- Child-centered play therapy
- Counselor skill, confidence & personal development
- At-risk children, youth & families
- High-poverty schools
- Person-centered & humanistic approaches to counseling
- PhD, Counseling, Virginia Tech, 1996
- MA, Human Development and Psychological Counseling, Appalachian State University, 1991
- BS, History and Secondary Education, Appalachian State University, 1986
- Download CV
Brooks, T. P., & Cochran, J. L. (2016). The core conditions in counseling chronically undecided career decision-makers. Person-Centered & Experiential Psychotherapies, 16, 1-14. doi.org/10.1080/14779757.2016.1179216
Cochran, J. L., & Cochran, N. H. (2015). The heart of counseling: Counseling skills through therapeutic relationships (2nd ed). NY: Routledge.