Professor, Department Head
Jeff and Nancy Cochran often teach, research, and write together, as well as share our lives and parent together. We also spend a great deal of time in sports and outdoor activities with our son, Erzhan.
- Child-centered play therapy
- Counselor skill, confidence & personal development
- At-risk children, youth & families
- High-poverty schools
- Person-centered & humanistic approaches to counseling
- PhD, Counseling, Virginia Tech, 1996
- MA, Human Development and Psychological Counseling, Appalachian State University, 1991
- BS, History and Secondary Education, Appalachian State University, 1986
- Download CV
Most recent book editions:
Cochran, J. L., & Cochran, N. H. (2021). The heart of counseling: Practical counseling skills through therapeutic relationships (3rd ed). NY: Routledge.
Cochran, N. H., Nordling, W., & Cochran, J.L. (2010). Child-centered play therapy: A practical guide to developing therapeutic relationships with children. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.