Professor, Department Head
Jeff has over 20 years’ experience as a counselor educator, following 10 years as a counselor in schools and agencies in the US and overseas. Jeff and Nancy Cochran often work together, developing service-research projects to meet community needs, such as the REACH Project which provided child-centered play therapy in high-poverty schools. Jeff has served as department head for five years and is returning to faculty August 2022, where he looks forward to more time with students and exciting new research projects.
- Child-centered play therapy
- The needs of at-risk children, youth, and families
- The needs of impoverished schools and communities
- Person-centered and humanistic approaches to counseling
- Elements of person-centered or humanistic qualities in teaching
- PhD, Counseling, Virginia Tech, 1996
- MA, Human Development and Psychological Counseling, Appalachian State University, 1991
- BS, History and Secondary Education, Appalachian State University, 1986
- Download CV
Most recent book editions:
Cochran, N. H., Nordling, W., & Cochran, J.L. (in-press for June 2022). Child-centered play therapy: A practical guide to therapeutic relationships with children(2nd ed). Routledge.
Cochran, J. L., & Cochran, N. H. (2021). The heart of counseling: Practical counseling skills through therapeutic relationships (3rd ed). Routledge.